Get e-book Journey to War: The Thomas Stewart Story

Free download. Book file PDF easily for everyone and every device. You can download and read online Journey to War: The Thomas Stewart Story file PDF Book only if you are registered here. And also you can download or read online all Book PDF file that related with Journey to War: The Thomas Stewart Story book. Happy reading Journey to War: The Thomas Stewart Story Bookeveryone. Download file Free Book PDF Journey to War: The Thomas Stewart Story at Complete PDF Library. This Book have some digital formats such us :paperbook, ebook, kindle, epub, fb2 and another formats. Here is The CompletePDF Book Library. It's free to register here to get Book file PDF Journey to War: The Thomas Stewart Story Pocket Guide.

Stephen and Edith appear to have had just one daughter, Jean M born in , her birth registered in Hambledon, Surrey. Stephen died aged 64 in and Edith died aged 72 in Not having reached the age of 18 in August , his education continued until he enlisted with the 3 rd Battalion of the Royal Sussex Regiment attaining the rank of 2 nd Lieutenant in April and taking a commission as 2 nd Lieutenant in the 7 th Battalion Royal Sussex before attaining the rank of Lieutenant in July The next five days was spent marching to and from No.

On the 21 st July , Ivan Margary was diagnosed with influenza and was taken to the Duchess of Westminster Hospital at Etaples and after a couple of weeks he was considered fit enough to return to No. After the war he wrote a book in which he gave more details, writing that the shells were close to and in the trench, that men were constantly being buried and dug out and that it was continuous through the day and night. However, he mentions nothing of fatalities and injuries but does remark that when they were finally relieved, even those not suffering from shellshock could not control the trembling of their hands.

On 12 th November , Ivan Margary was given leave and returned to Chartham Park although he had to return to France and re-joined his Battalion on 23 rd December For the next couple of months he again experienced more periods in the trenches, alternating with rest periods described below. On the 17 th August he was hit by two bullets, one in the back close to the top of the spine whilst the other glanced off his helmet at the neck, leaving a large dent.

Ivan Margary kept the helmet to always remind himself of just how lucky he had been that day. Not only was he fortunate that the helmet saved his life, the other bullet although near the spine, had not seriously disabled him, although he suffered restricted movement for the rest of his life. Despite the War having ended, he returned to France on the 16 th November Ivan Margary was demobilised in January and returned home to CharthamPark where he set about constructing a two-acre WildGarden within the grounds, perhaps as a means of coming to terms with effects of the War.

I had always kept a diary of my movements and had continued to do so in France …….. It must be kept in mind how different were the conditions in that War. References to battalion transport imply horses and mules with their vehicles. Marching on foot was the normal progress except where motor lorries were provided by the French Army for special long journeys. The aeroplane was still in its infancy……Troops camped in masses in the open fully exposed. At home, we had no telephone and only horse carriages so that contact with home was very slow and difficult. The companies in the Battalion went into the reserve line trenches in rotation and thus had their rest every fourth spell.

Ivan became a specialist on the Roman period in Britain, especially in the local area. One of the greatest single features of the work of Ivan Margary was the study of Roman roads. He devised a system of road numbering, in order of importance, somewhat like our modern A, B and C roads. Single figures were used for main roads, double figures for secondary roads and three figures for minor roads, eg.

In his opinion the road at Holtye Common served two purposes, to link London with the rich corn-growing area of the South Downs and to open up the iron district for trade with London and the Continent. Through his work he found that there was a number of track-ways leading over the downs, South West to Brighton, South to Seaford and South East to Eastbourne, where there is evidence of Roman settlements and possible port facilities to Gaul. Margary then went on to establish the routes of many other roads in the Weald including the London to Brighton Way that passes through Felbridge.

However, Ivan Margary is probably best known for his involvement with the Roman Palace of Fishbourne near Chichester in West Sussex, which was found in and after excavation and the replanting of the Roman gardens was opened to the public in The Camp at Ligfield closed in April He was a generous man, but having no family, much of his inheritance was donated as gifts to the Society of Antiquaries, the Royal Archaeological Institute and Archaeological Societies of Sussex, Surrey and Kent.

He also underwrote the Antiquity Trust, a fund set up to enable the continued publication of Antiquity. It was also largely due to him that the Margary Room at Barbican House, Lewes, was reconstructed and refurbished and the quadrangle at Exeter College, Oxford was built. Ivan Donald Margary died on the 18 th February aged 79; the service was held in St John the Divine Church, Felbridge, where there is a memorial to him.

Dorothy Margary died on the 22 nd May , aged 85, leaving no family. Besides the two sons, Duncan and Louisa had six daughters: Alma Louisa who was born on 16 th May in Paddington, Elizabeth Evelyn who was born on 31 st May in Kensington, Mary Theodosia who was born on 22 nd August in Westminster but who sadly died in , twins Janet Mackinnon and Cecilia Christian who were born on 19 th May and Constance Isabella who was born on 7 th February , the last three girls born at Tyndale House Wimbledon.

At the age of 10, Andrew was living with his sister Elizabeth in the household of their governess and teacher Maria Praouse, at 21, Jevington Gardens, Eastbourne, Sussex. In , he purchased Malling Deanery and embarked on a spending spree erecting the Deanery Cottage, a number of farm buildings including a small dairy and by had constructed a new garden in the Riverdale meadow, a walled kitchen garden that was divided into two sections that contained four large hot-houses and two brick and tile potting and tool sheds.

The couple began their married life at Malling Deanery but did not have a family. Heavy Batteries RGA were equipped with heavy guns, sending large calibre high explosive shells in fairly flat trajectory fire. As British artillery tactics developed, the Heavy Batteries were most often employed in destroying or neutralising the enemy artillery, as well as putting destructive fire down on strong points, dumps, store, roads and railways behind enemy lines.

Andrew rejoined his unit and was part of the Third Battle of Ypres, Belgium. In June , an attempt was made to dislodge the Germans from the Messines Ridge, which was a complete success. However, the main assault for Passchendaele also spelt Passendale , began towards the end of July and quickly became a struggle against the German opposition and rapidly deteriorating weather.

The campaign finally came to a close in November with the capture of Passchendaele. Sadly Capt. In William was living with his sister Constance at the family home in Wimbledon being cared for by family servants whilst his parents and older siblings were staying at the Cavendish Hotel in Grande Parade, Eastbourne. He was educated at Repton School, Derbyshire, received his commission in and became a 2 nd Lieutenant to the 16 th Lancers Special Reserve from the Carmarthenshire Militia on 22 nd June This was a distinguished British cavalry regiment that served on the Western Front for the duration of the War.

The 4 th Hussars and 5 th Lancers undertook a dismounted attack, assisted by the 16 th Lancers and reclaimed the hill. William was buried in the grounds of the Abbey at Mont de Cats. Before the outbreak of World War I, T Stewart Inglis had embarked upon the development of west side of Rowplatt Lane, the first houses ready for occupation by Fortunately the Medal Card survives for T Stewart Inglis and shows he was awarded the Star Medal on 25 th June and other surviving documents record that he was mentioned in Despatches in and was awarded the Distinguished Service Order DSO in for meritorious and distinguished service in the Field in September Until , T Stewart Inglis is also recorded in the electoral rolls at 15, CopleyPark, Streatham, along with his wife Ann, although by then there is some evidence to suggest they had divorced or that divorce was imminent around this date as T Stewart Inglis married Emily Louisa Brown at Westminster in the spring of Unfortunately the production of electoral rolls ceased during World War II so it has not been possible to track T Stewart Inglis electoral address during the war years but it is most likely that he was living at the Roebuck Hotel, at least until However, it is known that his former wife Ann died during the war years on 2 nd October at the SouthLondonHospital, Clapham Common, and that she had been living at 15, CopleyPark; probate was granted to her un-married daughter, Gwendoline, with no mention of her former husband T Stewart Inglis.

It is not until that T Stewart Inglis re-emerges in the public records when his death is recorded. The only public records for Emily Louisa Inglis are a shipping list dated 28 th April detailing her arrival at London on board SS Warwick Castle from South Africa, her home address given as 16, Agincourt Road, Cardiff, and her death and probates records recording that she died, aged 95, on 10 th May at Oaklands Nursing Home, Vicars Cross, Chester, Cheshire, the person to whom probate was issued was not listed.

Edmund Stern silk merchant and later whiskey merchant married his first wife, Florence Harding, in and they had one daughter, Florence in but sadly Florence senior died around the birth of their daughter and Edmund married his second wife Katherine, in On 3 rd November , Douglas C Stern was recorded as 2 nd Lieutenant rising to the rank of Lieutenant later that year.

In September , Douglas C Stern was reported as wounded but recovered and in September rose to the rank of Captain. The early work appears to be society and celebrity portraiture including: Mary Bessie Brough English actress of the theatre and silent movies and early talkies , Cecil Beaton British photographer , children of minor royals and nobility and society functions. Many of these photographs appear in either The Sketch or The Bystander.

Besides portraits, the company also appear to be interested in the use of photography as Art, eg. There is also a large portfolio of posed nudes that appear in both of the afore mentioned publications and which were also frequently exhibited at the London Salon of Photography. Marian Lewis continued with her photography and died on 20 th October , living at , Westbourne Grove, London. Southsea is a seaside resort in the geographic area of Portsmouth, the last recorded area in which Elise was living in An abridged version of the newspaper article follows:.

It was seen that lengths are to be shorter for young people and longer for the matron, while evening dresses tend to be fringed in the same way as Spanish shawls. Trailing draperies on the back of silk and crepe-de-Chine struck and original note and impacted a fairytale effect, which was in pleasant contrast to the extreme simplicity of the gowns worn last season.

Sequin creations attracted much attention, and one particularly striking model was of very large black sequins, the back having a very low V-shape neck. It would be impossible to describe one tenth of the exhibits, so diversified was their nature, but a tendency to capes on afternoon frocks was a noticeable feature. The evening dresses and cloaks were seen under artificial light, so that their effect in conditions they were intended for could be estimated. A pretty climax was reached by the appearance of a mannequin in a lovely bridal gown, followed by a bridesmaid and the rest of the mannequins.

Miss Elsie Elliott of Nightingale Road, Southsea, brought the mannequins from London, and wore many of the beautiful garments. She and her colleagues put on some Paris models and also many that had come from the foremost of British designers. A great attraction, however, was the large number of inexpensive garments designed on most artistic lines, which ladies will find a great boon. Miss Elsie Elliott, who is a native of Southsea, has done mannequin work for leading London houses and in the provinces, while she has also done film work.

This plot had housed a greenhouse belonging to the Olde Felbridge Hotel now the CrownePlaza, Felbridge ; purchase of this land gave the Sterns access to the grounds of The Stream from the recently constructed StreamPark roadway. Around this time Douglas C Stern also had a bungalow built called Little Stream to the north of his dwelling now the site of the Scanda Hus on the right in Standen Close.

One financial contribution she made was to have the church carpeted throughout with blue carpet, greatly reducing the drafts felt through the cold tiled floor and iron grills. She was also one of a small working party of ladies and one man who worked a set of needlepoint Communion Rail Kneelers for the church. Alfred and Edith spent the early part of their married life at Tilkhurst Farm, East Grinstead, Sussex, and had six children including; Henry John who was born on 6 th February , William James who was born on 24 th February , Fredrick George who was born on 21 st January , Edith Annie who was born on 18 th January , Amos Edward who was born on 6 th March and Thomas Arthur who was born on 30 th April It was hoped that this would elevate the shortage of volunteers the forces were experiencing as World War I dragged on.

In May the bill was extended to married men and in April the upper age was raised to 50 or to 56 if the need arose. On all accounts, Alfred J Pattenden should have enlisted but he was granted exemption from service because of his agricultural status as reported in the local newspaper in The only man left on the farm of acres who could thatch, and he was urgently required for the hay and corn harvest and for thatching. Mr Leggat found the application reasonable: it would not be a serious matter to let a man off at the age of Alfred J Pattenden was fortunate not to have to suffer or witness the horrors of World War I but he and his family were not left unaffected by war as he lost his son Amos Edward Pattenden on 25 th December whilst fighting in World War II.

With the declaration of World War I, Arthur Pattenden was aged 35 and with two small daughters did not automatically volunteer. However, after the introduction of conscription for married men in May , Arthur, by then approaching his 37 th birthday, joined the Royal Navy on 14 th June Distinguishing marks were listed a mole on his stomach. Infantrymen ferried into Nazi Germany via glider fought to seize 10 key bridges during Operation Varsity. Joseph Heller's famous war novel is vividly recreated over the course of six episodes in a new streaming miniseries.

The Rommel biography focuses more on the general's North Africa adventures than on fresh scholarship War hero-turned-movie star Audie Murphy wasn't doing much acting in "To Hell and Back," the film that chronicled his combat feats. Once the highest-elevation U. Army post, Colorado's Camp Hale provided ski troops with deep snow and challenging terrain General Raymond E.

Lee voiced unwavering support—while holding private doubts. World War II magazine covers every aspect of history's greatest modern conflict with vivid, revealing, and evocative writing from top historians and journalists. Each issue provides a lively mix of stories about soldiers, leaders, tactics, weapons, and little-known incidents of the war, including riveting firsthand battle accounts and reviews of books, movies, and video games. And the most authoritative magazine on the war features a striking design that highlights rare, archival photographs and detailed battle maps to convey the drama and excitement of the most famous battles and campaigns.

Citino examines the hard lessons learned from the forgotten battle of the Aleutian Islands For Gen. George S. Patton, it started early, with a call just after 4 a. The Germans have surrendered. Charles Hancock Reed, was with his unit in western Czechoslovakia, where they were forming a defensive line southwest of the large city of Pilsen. None of this was on the mind of Col. Alois Podhajsky as he prepared for what he regarded as the most important day of his life.

Podhajsky, a tall, aristocratic Austrian of extraordinary single-mindedness, was looking for a way to guarantee the safety of the riding school and horses he supervised as the Third Reich collapsed around him.

World War I heroes part 3

Walton H. As Patton watched, the horses and riders went through the precise, balletlike maneuvers they were famous for: a demonstration of controlled power and ritualized elegance, set to music, that was beautiful to watch and incredibly difficult to execute. When it was over, Podhajsky halted his horse before Patton and removed his hat in a traditional salute.

To me the high-schooling of horses is certainly more interesting than either painting or music. Standing to address the man on horseback before him, Patton replied that he was putting the Spanish Riding School under the special protection of the U. Army; he later told Podhajsky he would do what he could about the horses in Czechoslovakia. It began 11 days earlier—with some captured secret documents. But those that belonged to the commander of the German intelligence unit that surrendered to the 2nd Cavalry Group at a hunting lodge near the Czech border on April 26, , were unexpectedly interesting.

They included photos of horses—beautiful horses: Arabs, Thoroughbreds, and Lipizzaners. The general, a celebrated spy known only as Walter H.

They looked at the photos together, and the general told Reed that the horses were among hundreds the Germans had collected from among the finest breeding stock in Europe and sent to a large stud farm in the nearby Czech town of Hostau, where they were under the care of Czech and Polish POWs who had surrendered to the Germans. The problem was that the ruthless and ravenous Red Army was approaching; both men were concerned the animals might become army rations. But, as spelled out at the Yalta conference that divided up postwar Europe, Czechoslovakia fell within the Soviet zone of occupation.

He sent a message to Patton at Third Army headquarters requesting permission for the operation.

James Stewart

Make it fast! By then Red Army troops were about 60 miles east of Hostau; the Americans were about 35 miles away. And although the Germans in Czechoslovakia were being rapidly overpowered, there were still die-hard Nazi snipers everywhere. Working in conjunction with the German, Reed formulated a daring plan. At about 8 p. The officer was Capt. Rudolf Lessing, a staff veterinarian at Hostau. Over dinner he presented Reed with a counterproposal: send an officer back with him to Hostau to confer with the local Wehrmacht commander and they could arrange a surrender.

Thomas M. Reed had just concluded a telephone conversation with General Patton, and told Stewart he was to accompany the German captain through the lines and attempt to arrange the release of the horses and prisoners. The two men left on foot and walked together in the darkness for about a half-mile before coming upon the motorcycle that Lessing had secreted in some bushes.

They drove it several miles to the barn of a friendly Czech forester, where they exchanged the motorcycle for a pair of horses the veterinarian had hidden there to take them on the rest of the journey. Their destination lay about 18 miles ahead, through a forbiddingly dense forest. It had been around midnight when the pair set off, and the moon finally emerged from behind some clouds.

Although riding through the dark countryside in the sole company of an enemy officer seems an intimidating experience, Stewart reveled in it. An experienced rider, he delighted in his horse, a Lipizzaner stallion said to have been the favorite mount of Peter II, King of Yugoslavia. When he encountered a roadblock about three feet wide and three feet high built of logs and branches, a steep cliff on one side, a ravine on the other, the American did the only thing he thought he could do: he gathered his horse and took off for the obstacle.

A more significant obstacle emerged at the stud farm. Wolfgang Kroll, cradling what looked like a submachine gun. The manager of the farm, Lt. Hubert Rudofsky, had initially given his blessing to the plan, but had had a change of heart after Lessing left. Rudofsky was a Czech national and decided he could cut a better deal with the Russians than with the Americans. He told Kroll that if he and Lessing brought in an American, Rudofsky would have the three of them shot as spies. Stewart spent the rest of the night crouched in a chair, while Lessing reconnoitered.

A few hours later, on the morning of April 27, he summoned Stewart and Kroll; Rudofsky had left the farm, possibly to visit the local army commander, a General Schulze. Stewart was able to understand a little German, so he could make out a smattering of what was going on. The general, a small man, sat behind a bare table, surrounded by officers—including, Stewart later learned, a silent Lieutenant Colonel Rudofsky.

I am a German officer. I am no spy. General Schulze gestured, and Captain Stewart presented his credentials. Lessing explained their presence. As the German veterinarian recounted to the Austrian magazine Zyklus in , he told the general that their primary responsibility was to the horses.

How General Patton and Some Unlikely Allies Saved the Prized Lipizzaner Stallions

This we should have done four years ago. To do it now is too late. As General Schulze had promised, the task force encountered no resistance on the way to the stud farm, and the surrender was peaceful. As soon as the facility was secured, the American troops hurried off to look at the source of all the commotion: the captured horses. It was truly a treasure trove of horseflesh. Among them were about of the best Arabs in Europe, top Thoroughbred racehorses and trotters, hundreds of Russian Cossack horses, and some Lipizzaners from breeding farms across Europe—primarily the Yugoslavian royal stud and the Piber stud in Austria, which supplied the horses for the Spanish Riding School.

  • American Furniture 2013.
  • A Walk Across Afghanistan.
  • Soldier's diary of the First World War.
  • Education Next is a journal of opinion and research about education policy..
  • What is Kobo Super Points?.
  • Serendipity.
  • Patches Too.

There were also the prisoners: not only the several hundred grooms they had expected to find at the farm, but about Americans and as many British troops, who had been encountered with their German guards in the vicinity. Steps were quickly taken to free and safeguard them.

While the rest of the 2nd Cavalry Group prepared for an advance toward Pilsen, the task force organized its own small army to defend the farm in the event of a counterattack. In addition to the Americans and their tanks and assault guns were Lessing, Kroll, and the other Germans; some Cossack cavalrymen; and an assortment of now-former POWs who chose to stay. That proved a wise move.

For five hours on April 30, the small international force held off an attack from German troops: mostly older men and boys who knew nothing of what had transpired at the farm. The defenders took hundreds of German prisoners; the rest retreated back into the woods. Two men of A Troop ultimately lost their lives during the mission in isolated incidents elsewhere, however. As the war wound down in the next few days, dramatic events continued to come hard and fast. Colonel Reed arrived at the farm on May 1 to inspect the horses.

Before leaving, he cautioned Stewart that the massive German 11th Panzer Division would soon be headed in their direction. On May 4 the reason became evident, as the division and its more than 9, men surrendered, an event Reed had been instrumental in negotiating. Two days later, the Third Army liberated Pilsen. He was determined to hold his ground in Czechoslovakia until the U. Army—not the Russians or Czechs—told him to leave.

He was there on May 9 when he received word from Third Army headquarters that General Patton had been in touch with Col. Although the horses were now in American hands, they were still in Czechoslovakia and Reed knew something had to be done to get them out of the path of the Red Army—and soon. The Third Army swiftly gave its assent, along with a guarantee to give the movement of the horses priority along the required roads. At dawn on May 12, the remarkable procession began.

Site Search Navigation

About horses were herded in small groups, with American vehicles positioned before and after them and with a band of Polish, Czech, and Cossack horsemen as outriders, along with a smattering of Americans—making the name of the mission, Operation Cowboy, especially apt. Despite the prevailing chaos of the time, the evacuation was an organizational masterpiece; the Americans had closed off all major intersections and the group covered the roughly miles to Mannsbach safely.

The fastest groups made the journey in two days; the slower groups, those that included mares and foals, arrived a day later. Lieutenant Colonel Rudofsky had materialized at the border as the horses passed, marking off the departing animals on a checklist. Czech and Russian officials later filed a protest, but nothing ever came of it.

At about the same time—on the afternoon of May 14—the U. He was introduced to Reed over dinner. When the captain of the U. Army riding team, of which Reed was a member, saw Podhajsky ride in the Olympics in Berlin, he had been so impressed he named one of the cavalry school horses after him. The next morning Reed drove his Austrian counterpart to Mannsbach in a jeep.

Podhajsky easily identified the Lipizzaners belonging to the Austrian herd and Reed assured him they would be sent to St. A little over a week later, Reed proved good to his word. Just before midnight on or about May 25, the sound of engines broke the quiet at an abandoned airfield outside St.

Martin as the first of some 60 trucks pulled into view. The journey this time had been too great a distance to make on foot, so Reed had amassed as many captured German vehicles as possible and had them outfitted to carry the horses. Although two mares were injured in the chaos of unloading at the airfield and had to be put down, a total of Lipizzaners were successfully returned to Austria. But why—when there was so much destruction, so much loss and pain, so much left to be done—devote limited resources to this particular mission?

A simple explanation lies with the diverse individuals central to the rescue, who had all one trait in common: they loved horses. Alois Podhajsky, the son of a cavalry officer, was one of the youngest lieutenants in the Austro-Hungarian cavalry in World War I, and won a bronze in dressage in the Olympics.

Podhajsky devoted his life to horses, and they were rarely far from his thoughts. Charles Hancock Reed, also a former officer in the mounted cavalry, was a superb horseman: an instructor at the Cavalry School and a member of the — U. Army horse show team. After retiring from the army, Reed purchased the offspring of one of the horses he rescued, and rode her every day for nearly 30 years.

Navigation menu

Patton spent a lifetime with horses. While stationed at Fort Myer, Virginia, after his graduation from West Point, he played polo, fox-hunted, and competed in mounted steeplechases. He was a participant in the first modern pentathlon at the Olympics in Stockholm, Sweden, placing sixth out of 23 in the equestrian phase. Indeed, an extremely interesting article. Goes to show what good deeds the human race is capable of if you put aside the insanity of war. Thank you for posting. Robert Taylor played the part of Colonel Podhajsky in the movie. I really enjoyed reading the article.

I have not thought of that movie in a long time. Thanks again for printing the story. However,I was captivated by their performances snd have seen them several times since in Austria and America. Many thanks to Gen. Patton and the others who saved them. Needless to say, he was thrilled beyond belief to receive his Nov. It was wonderful to read this article. Captain Tom Stewart is my uncle. His brother Fricks also served in the Army. My father Paul Turner served in the Navy. It is an honor to read and know that Uncle Tommy had such an important part in that daring and adventurous rescue.

I have always known of the rescue, but not to this detail.

Thanks for publishing this account of history. I was so sorry to hear of the passing of your Uncle, Captain Tom Stewart late last night. What a gentle and kind soul. What depth to know the valor and daring he exhibited at such a time in history. What an amazing legacy for the world and for his family.

Thanks for the kind words, I agree that he was a very special man. I remember many wonderful times with him and Aunt Anne. I will miss him. Please drop me a line at stephant yahoo. My father was a first scout in the war and talked about being with the Lipzzans. However, I am not sure of his recollections as he remembered a train ride with the Lipzzans. No where do I see there were any horses transported this way.

According to comments made by my dad was that he was awarded metals but gave them away when he returned from the war. I have read several accounts of this operation but none with such detail. Wolfgang Kroll, the German veterinarian mentioned was a good friend of mine for over 25 years.

He often spoke of the horses and even accompanied some of them when they were shipped to the U. Later he emigrated here and at one time was veterinarian of the San Diego Zoo. We travelled together to Vienna and to the breeding farm in Piber in and he actually remembered some of the horses and grooms. I would like to know if anyone has any personal recollections, pictures, or accounts of him.

I would like to share them with his children who still live in Germany. I can be contacted at: jgrobarek cox. Glad to see this story is finally getting the attention it deserves. For any veterans of the 2d Cavalry Group in WWII the 2d Cavalry Association is very interested in contacting you and helping you connect with other veterans. My father is 91 years old but still remembers many details on the actual moving of the lipizzaner horses. If you can drop me a line at stephant yahoo.

I was deeply moved by this tale of co-operation between former enemies who all cared for such magnificent and gentle animals that horses are. The master of ceremonies commented that a few of the stallions had been rescued from a farm, and that they had been rehabilitated, trained and were now part of the show. Can someone tell me where the farm was located?

You might be interested to see some backstage photos from this performance, from the personal collection of PFC Frank Wayne Martin, who was a forward scout for General Patton. Martin no relation to me was involved in this Lipizzaner operation and was assigned to guard the trainers backstage during this show.